Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Time is Here

December 24, 2012

Well surprisingly the library is open on Christmas Eve. So I do get to write a little letter. I don't have much to say really.  The times have been uneventful. But I got a text message from Elder Jennings saying that two of the people we have been teaching are on date for baptism over there. So I finally am seeing that my labors over there really were producing something. Hopefully those things pan out.

In this area we were able to teach someone who is really quite ready to hear the gospel. She's in her mid 50's and is dating a member of the ward and has just fallen in love with the church. We went over there to teach the first lesson and her response was quite literally "well those kinds of visions and visitations happened all the time in the bible so I see no conflict with Joseph Smith's story to the teachings of the bible." Talk about prepared. She even agreed to baptism. But she "wants to learn more" before committing to a date.

Also a quick funny experience: We got a referral for a 23 year old in our area who texted us and said she wasn't interested because Mormon’s teach "incorrect" doctrine concerning the trinity. And she sent us all the usual "trinity" scriptures. "I am in the Father, and the Father in me- the father and I are one" blah blah blah. One funny one she sent was Isaiah 44:8, in which Jehovah (Christ) is saying that there are no Gods beside him. I looked it up and read the context, and I kind of chuckled, because the verse wasn't a declaration about the "trinity" at all, it was a denunciation of idolatry. Needless to say, we decided not to argue with her and stay true to Articles of Faith 11. "Let them worship how, where, at what they may" (however wrong it may be).

I'm excited to talk to my family!  J It is my last Christmas here in the field, so It's kind of a weird feeling. But that's the update here in Littleton.

Elder Bringhurst

No comments:

Post a Comment