Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The [area] is now mine to command, TO CONTROL!!!! (Movie line from Aladdin)

So yeah, I'm now the person in charge of this area. Wow, that's just insane for me. I never thought I could do it, but I can!!! We had a day where we were able to get 7 lessons!

My companion is actually Elder Croft, my former district leader, so we know each other.  I've been on exchanges with him, and in fact, come to find out he requested this area to be in and requested that I would be his companion! Wow! He has big plans for the area and is trying to learn the area as fast as he possibly can.

Elder Croft is a convert to the church, converted at age 17. He is the only member of his family and wow he really has a strong testimony. That's a plus in some way.  Since both Elder George and I grew up in the church, when people would ask about why we were in the church it was kind of hard to convince other people about how awesome this church is if it's the only church we know.  Elder Croft is an amazing missionary and he teaches well... but he ignores the rules about music and a WHOLE lot of other things, claiming that "these things don't prevent him from feeling the spirit." So it's hard sometimes and I'll talk to the district leader about it or maybe the zone leaders. I know how I can handle these things.

Otherwise, we got 18 lessons this last week and the mission average for transfer week is 12 lessons. So I'm really glad that all of this has happened.  I'm able to plan a full day. I'm still junior companion, as Elder Croft has been out for 17 months, but that's normal. It's kind of a shock to suddenly be the one to have all the answers regarding the area, but it works for me. I'm actually really happy and feeling a lot better about it. We even found two new investigators this week!  One was a former investigator named Christina.  We just stopped by and she told us she was still interested in the church but was rushed by the missionaries. The other was a guy named Chris. He is the son of one of the investigators that we already have. So that is amazing.

So quick funny story:   We were eating dinner yesterday and there were pecans in a little salad that was given to us. I ate a few bites and I got that same horrible itchy sensation and nasty taste that I do when I eat peanuts. So after dinner I get really sick and I feel like I want to throw up. I could tell the signs that I was having an allergic reaction. Elder Croft was freaking out and wanted to take me to a hospital.  I told him I would be fine and this happened a lot. I took some Benadryl and I told him we should go out and work but he was afraid I was going to die, so we stayed home Sunday evening. It wasn't bad, but I thought it was funny that Elder Croft had a heart attack. I told him I have had this happen a lot and it wouldn't get bad enough for a hospital.

Oh well. So the area hasn't died, and things aren't too bad here.  Elder Croft and I get along really well and he has already said he thinks I'll be one of his favorite companions.

Quick note - he has an incredibly strict diet which makes it hard to eat any sweets at all. So if you send him things, no candy. J I love everyone who writes me! Have an awesome day.

Elder Bringhurst

No comments:

Post a Comment