Sunday, November 3, 2013

The End of it All

October 28, 2013
It's surreal sitting here at this computer, composing my final email for the mission.  A week from today, I will be given a ride from a member of the ward here to make it to Denver in time for Tuesday morning's transfer meeting.  After the meeting, I will be interviewed by my mission president for my departing interview, and then attend an 11 o clock session at the temple for a session (I heard there is a new temple video so I will be excited to see it).  The following day I will depart for home.

Today my letter will be less about me and more about those who have supported me.  I'm truly grateful for all of the letters, packages, and prayers that have been offered on my behalf.  I truly know those prayers made a difference for my mission.   I'm so grateful for my family, especially my mom, who faithfully every week sent me a "motivation line" to help me keep going.  They really helped me ponder and think about the "bigger purpose" in everything that I did.

There have been so many changes in the last two years, so it's almost as if an entire chapter of my life is coming to a close.  As I return home it will be my duty and privilege to begin writing my own story.

This last week I was able to attend the baptism of Cole and Nikki McCluer.  Oh how wonderful that was.  Their kids were a big fan of me because I used Grandpa's old "magic tie" trick with them.  (You know the one where you hold the tie in your hand and the blow on it and it shrinks)  One of them saw me and just gave my leg a big hug.  It was so neat.  It was a simple baptism, as not very many people came  (I got to be the pianist for the whole thing and played my hymn arrangements for the interlude) but it was simple and I gave a talk on the holy ghost.  They were so happy and I felt really good about it.

I played the prelude music two Sundays ago in church for sacrament meeting and apparently I was such a hit that the music coordinator got several calls to request me again.  So Sister Nelson, the music coordinator, gave me a call to do a piano solo the next Sunday.  So I spent an afternoon on Saturday composing another arrangement for a hymn and played yesterday.  What I didn't account for was that I would be playing for a missionary farewell so the place was packed.  I was super nervous.  I played it without any mistakes though.  And afterwards I got some very kind compliments from countless people. 

Well my mission is drawing to a close.  I will end my letter today in those famous words by the Prophet Joseph Smith: "Shall we not go on in so great a cause?"

Elder Bringhurst, signing off


No comments:

Post a Comment