Monday, July 16, 2012

Cloudy with a change of Meatballs


July 9, 2012

So the word of the week has to do with the Monsoon season of good old Colorado. What a great break from the summer heat!  

Well we had a good week this week. For the 4th of July Elder Schwegler and I decided to take advantage of the low prices on food that was being sold and treat ourselves a rib eye steak dinner with corn on the cob and potato chips. It only cost me like 10 bucks to do it. Super satisfying! I've also never cooked a steak before and had no idea what to put on it. So I grilled it with onion powder, seasoned salt, and Italian seasoning. It was an interesting flavor, but it was really good. Unfortunately I got slapped with a 100 dollar parking ticket on the 4th because they were doing fireworks at the Broncos Stadium and I missed the "resident only permit A" zone, even though the people we were eating with had a permit for us to use. But guess what? It was expired. So I have to deal with that.

Also on the news of the mission, the lady who bore her testimony at church last week came to church again today! She stayed for all 3 hours this time, and we had a meeting with the bishop afterwards. It is really a good thing happening. I also had an interesting experience. We went on exchanges with the district leader, and they introduced me to a guy they were teaching that was a devout Jew. He had the whole getup -- the yamaka, the shawl.  I seriously thought I was talking to Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof. He said he can't stand Fiddler on the Roof because they lit a fire for the Sabbath, and you aren't allowed to light fire on the Sabbath. He was cool. But I was shown about 20 articles proving that the bible in original Hebrew condemns human sacrifice, and you cannot atone for another's sins. Cool guy, just extremely unwilling to change. It was fun though. They fed us a "kosher" dinner. So I had "kosher pizza." It was cold obviously (Jews believe microwaves make your food unclean, and he made it the day before to avoid breaking the Sabbath) but it wasn't half bad. Did you know they have found 613 commandments from the Torah (first 5 books of Moses) and must obey them all? It's crazy. So if you've ever wanted to know something about Jews, I know a guy. J

But we had a great week!   Let me know if anyone has questions!

Elder Bringhurst

No comments:

Post a Comment