Monday, May 27, 2013

Stuff

May 13. 2013

We were teaching an investigator named Frank the other day, and then some people came out to talk to us including a recent convert that I taught clear back when I was serving in the 9th ward at the beginning of my mission. Come to find out, he stopped going to church, fell off the bandwagon, and started attending another church. I talked with him a long time while we were there. I told him that he knew that our church was true, and he knew it because the Spirit had told him. I told him he was an Aaronic Priesthood holder that has a responsibility to fulfill his calling, and that he needs to return. It was a powerful moment, and finally he admitted that he still had a testimony but was just having a hard time quitting smoking. I got his phone number and he committed to once again start attending church! It was cool.

Also a Baptist minister-in-training pulled over to talk to us with the intent that we needed to be saved. A couple of funny moments: him - "Are you saved?" me- "Are we in heaven?"  him - "No.“ me - " Well, I guess I haven’t been saved yet because I'm still here."   Another one:  him - "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior by confessing him with your mouth?" me -  "Yes."  Him -  "When?" me -  " At my baptism." him -  "Well,  baptism isn't essential for going to heaven."  me -  "What about the Savior's declaration 'he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, and he that believeth not shall be damned?' " .... no comment on his side. Anyway, I got him to admit I was "saved" and that opened up for me to ask him to read the Book of Mormon. "I only read the Bible." was his reply "it’s all I need." I felt inspired to say "but what if it is true?" No comment and he drove off. It was funny. That's an abridged version but still it was pretty humorous.

We also had this family move in that apparently is black listed so I get a call from at least 4 people telling us not to associate with them at all.   Whatever. It all is confusing. So I hit my 18 month mark last week! Crazy. Well that's all I have this week. I love you all and have a great week!

Elder Bringhurst

 

No comments:

Post a Comment